Friday, September 6, 2013

Road Trip Part 3 - Redwoods

I'm finally getting to some of my pictures again!  After San Francisco, we drove up along Highway 101 towards the Oregon border.  There were so many redwood trees that were literally right on the highway. We ended up driving pretty late the first night and it was kind of eery driving through there, the trees would almost seem to glow and appear out of nowhere.  We stayed the night in Garberville and were lucky to find a hotel since we didn't have one booked.  It wasn't fancy, but it was a room with a bed! 

The next day, we passed through the Avenue of the Giants, a 30 minute scenic drive near the highway.  It was so awesome, there were so many huge trees.  We drove through one, it was a little set up in someone's back yard, and it was one of the scariest things I've ever done, I thought for sure I would get our van stuck right in the middle.

 
























Heading back out to the coast....





We also went to the Trees of Mystery.  It was pretty fun, with a little trail to hike through the forest.  There was also a 'sky tram'.  I thought this would be similar to the San Diego Zoo and never really go too high up, so we got the kids excited about it and stood in line and then I realized I was completely wrong!  It was a gondola that went up to the top of the trees at the top of the mountain.  I am not a heights person, but I had already told the kids we were going to do it, so I did it.  As you can see from the pictures, I wasn't thrilled about it!  Going down was actually better because my back was to the ground.  It would have been much better if it were a smooth ride all the way, but it stopped about every 100 feet while people were loading, giving us plenty of time to sway back and forth....



















 










And some random pictures from some of the night driving

No comments: