Thursday, November 12, 2009

The hole in my neck is about to get bigger....

So I've had a wierd looking mole for the past year on my neck. It was brown, but two-colors of brown and non-symetrical. My family doc told me last year that I should have a dermatologist take it out since it is on my neck. Well, we all know how long it takes to get into a dermatologist. We moved, were busy and finally got one scheduled for Sept. He didn't have time to do anything then, so I had to go back in Oct. Finally had it cut out and had an incision on my neck that was about an inch long. He says, my office will call you with the results in a week, blah, blah, blah. Have a good day.

A few days later I get home and there's a message from the doctor asking me to call his cell phone. Hmm, that's kind of wierd. So I call him and he asks me to come in the next day to discuss the results of my biopsy. OK, so as nurse, I know there's only 1 reason a doctor wont give results over the phone (especially since Tad got his "normal" results over the phone the previous week) and thats because its bad news.

So the next day I went in and found out that I have melanoma on my neck. It's not as thin as he would like it to be. It's borderline thickness stage 1B. So I would had to go in for more testing.

I had another exam on all my moles and nothing else looked suspicious to him, but now I'll have to go in every 3 to 4 months for the next few years.

I had a consultation with an oncologist yesterday. NEVER thought that I would have to see an oncologist. He did an exam and found one mole that he wants to remove. He also informed me that the inch long incision on my neck is soon going to get much bigger... about 1cm on each side and may require a skin flap. At the time he does that, he will also take out the nearest lymph node (sentinal node) and test it for melanoma. He is optimistic that that will be as far as we will have to go, as I only have a 10-15% chance that it has spread past the initial site based on its thickness at the time. But we will have to wait until December to have that surgery, so until then I won't know much.

10 comments:

Chris and Suzette said...

That's a little scary. I'm glad to hear that everything is getting taken care of though. I know you will be thinking and worrying about it every minute until the surgery, but I'm sure that everything will be fine. Thanks for sharing your update. We'll keep you in our prayers.

Lindy said...

Sorry Joy!! That is a huge bummer. We will include you in our prayers that it all turns out well and that you will heal quickly!

Jacqui said...

That sucks! Good luck with everything.

The Martin Family said...

We have been thinking about you. We will keep you in our prayers and good luck with the surgery. Keep us posted.

Jason and Amanda said...

Crazy and a bit scary I would guess. Hope all goes well and that you can find some peace in all the chaos...

*Shaffen and Misty* said...

Wow, that is crazy...I hope that everything turns out Ok!

Vowell Family said...

I am sorry you have to deal with this. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

gretta said...

so scary, I'm sorry your going through that
I everything goes well I'm glad you caught it so soon

Rachel said...

Sweetheart....holy crap I'm sooo sorry. I'm sure you'll be fine. Right???? Are you terrified??? Are you optimistic, what does the nurse in you say??? Whatever, I can do I'll do. Bring me the kids, or I'll come up there. Whatever you guys need. We love ya.

Rachel said...

By the way the pictures are sooooo great! She did a great job.