Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Wizard of Oz


I made it a goal to read some of the old fashioned books to the kids at night.  Last month we started with the Wizard of Oz, the original version - I think.  It was complete with wolves, bees, crows, winged monkeys, winkies, china doll people and poisonous poppies.  It was really quite different from the movie I remembered watching years ago.  But once I started the book, we HAD to just keep reading.  They actually really loved it.  One of their most favorite parts was where the Tin Woodsman was describing how he became a man of tin, which the movie does not talk about.  They were just cracking up at it.

After we finished the book, we had a movie night where we watched the original movie.  I haven't seen it since I was little so it was like I was watching it for the first time too.  I don't remember liking the movie back then, in fact, I didn't like it.  But watching it with my kids and everyone laughing, it really was pretty funny.  I really like the movie now!  We also made some caramel apples and popcorn to go with the movie.

I'm not sure what book we will read next, I'm considering The Neverending Story... 













No comments: