Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My new job and other things

Well this post is really just kind of a journal update for me.

When I agreed to move here to Thatcher, I took for granted that there would be NO nursing jobs. I thought, there's a hospital, Tad knows everyone, I'll get a job EASY. So not the case. The problem is the college here graduates like 80 nurses a year. In a town of about 500 people that's a lot. OK, maybe there's something like 5000 people, who knows, the point is its small. When there is an opening at the hospital, there's TONS of people who want it. And the hospital knows this so the pay is low compared to other places.

So when we moved last year I took a job at the skilled nursing facility. I never thought I would be a "nursing home nurse". But I actually enjoyed the residents. Too bad there were a lot of internal issues and I was working nights. So I also started working part time as a Home Health nurse for the hospital in October. I never thought I would work Home Health either but I figured that would get my foot in the door for an internal opening at the hospital. So far, hasn't worked.

So in March, I started my 3rd job - still working the other 2 part time - at an Agency. They paid really well but the most important thing was to get back to working in a hospital setting. They sent me to Globe, AZ (an 80 minute drive each way). I walked in expecting a teeny tiny wannabe hospital and was amazed to find a nice small regional medical center. A few weeks later I was hired on there part time with the promise that I would be trained in ICU.

That has been my goal since graduating from school 3 1/2 years ago. Every time I have worked somewhere and been close to going to the ICU, Tad switches careers and we up and move and I have to start over. And nowhere will hire me on for ICU without ICU experience. It's very frustrating.

I have since resigned from the nursing home and been put inactive at the registry, so am down to 2 part time jobs. And hopefully in a few weeks I will have ICU experience. Then maybe if an ICU position comes open at the hospital here, I can get it. It would be my 5th job since moving here. That's crazy. I am truly just grateful to have a job right now in this economy.

And all at the same time we are trying - have been trying - to have another baby. With all the issues I've had in the past, I knew it would require medication again. Problem this time is that the medication isn't working and our insurance has terrible coverage for infertility. I took for granted that it would be difficult this time. I mean I know my problem and what medication works - it's worked twice before. But not anymore. Every month I ask myself if it is worth it to keep trying because it seems we are just throwing money out the door and we have been trying for well over a year. And for the past few months, it has required many quick trips up to Phoenix (3 hrs) for 1 stinkin ultrasound. A week ago, I had to wake up at 4am, drive to Phx for an ultrasound (which didn't show anything) and then drive an hour to Globe, work the rest of the shift and then drive 80 minutes back home. It wouldn't be so bad if I could actually spend a few days in Phx and see some friends and hit the stores for things I can't find here. But the appointments are based on my cycle and most of the time cannot be planned.

I used to say that I would try until my birthday and that was it. Well that has come and went, and we are still trying. I think if everything is negative this month, we will try one more month, adding injections to the mix, and if nothing then, then it isn't meant to be. So that is THAT.

In a few weeks it will be a year since moving here. Time sure flies by fast. There are a lot of things I like about Thatcher... baseball is $15 per kid instead of $65, summer camps are $15 per kid, soccer is $15, swim team is $25, and other sports and activities are pretty cheap. Unfortunately they don't have basketball until the kids are in 3rd grade or something. We like living next to Nana and Grandpa. The kids think that is pretty cool, especially when Nana gets some new toys. We like being closer to my family in Phoenix. The library here does story times and science activities although we haven't been lately. The mountain is close by and we can go camping a lot this summer. The childrens' theater is so much fun too.

I don't like that we only have Walmart and Bealls to shop at. We need at least one strip mall with a variety of stores, especially when it comes time to finding costumes for their plays. A Target would be perfect. I don't like the lack of nursing opportunities. I don't like that it still gets hot here - although not as hot as Phoenix. And its kind of weird coming to a small town where everyone else besides me grew up or went to college and knows everyone and has tons of family and friends to hang out with.

I miss Albuquerque a lot. It was a great place to live with little kids. The zoo was fantastic, the botanical gardens were great, the museums were great, the parks were great, the balloons were great, the weather was great. I wish the salaries were great too because we would still be there. It's hard to believe that Tad makes more in this small town than he did in the city. I think I keep holding out hope that someday we might live there again, but that probably wont happen.

And now the potty update... Darci will pee every time I take her to the bathroom and I usually do about once an hour. But she wont tell me when she has to go and if I let it go too long she will pee her pants. She has only pooped twice on the toilet so far and that was probably just lucky timing for me. She usually poops in her panties or will wake up from naps with poop in her diaper. I'm not sure if this girl will every be fully potty-trained.

3 comments:

Jacqui said...

Hey I can't believe how many family adventures you guys go on. We try to go camping at least once a year and that doesn't even happen. I hope things look up for you!

Becca said...

HOLY MOLY woman...I haven't blog stalked for a while, and it looks like you have been busy, BUSY, BUSY! I am sorry to hear that getting pregnant has been so difficult! I feel your pain! Unilke you though, I couldn't do it again! After all it takes to get pregnant, I just coulnd't go through it another time! I am praying for you and hope all works out for you soon! I am happy about the job (s)and I hope that ICU training comes soon! If it does, will you cut your 2 down to 1? I don't know how you do all you do girl! You are amazing!

Elena said...

Joy -- you make feel utterly lazy. Nursing school with three kids (including twin babies); moves; family planning; working several jobs and successfully raising four children???? You're a truly amazing mother and wife. I wish you guys were back here in Albuq, but of course we're moving away soon. I'll keep you in my prayers.